Monday, December 20, 2010

show and tell...



Well, the last week has seemingly flown by, what with celebrating Christmas early with my parents before they went back home, Christmas markets and parties at school, not to mention malfunctioning cameras... I've had no time to post.  So here is my slightly over due show and tell.

So, Betsy's birthday.  To my huge disappointment, my camera decided to play up, so whilst the room we used was festooned with balloons, bunting, Charlie and Lola inspired party plates, cups and napkins and looked really magical,  I have very few photos of the actual event.  This is what I do have, and yes, I did take some of them after the event!

First up, the invitation...


On the way to decorate the room...

Betsy's sign...


Pin the hair clip on Lola, courtesy of Pickle...


A few of the snowmen and party bags...


Fairy cakes...


Much fun was had by all, lucky dip was a big hit, everyone enjoyed parcel parcel (as it is known in our family), and when it all got a bit loud, I had a flashback to playing Sleeping Lions at parties when I was little, which very much proved to be a stroke of inspiration!

Next up, the present.  



This was inspired by Lauren Child's Princess and the Pea.  I had this idea last year, but what, with moving to Singapore and all that entailed, time got the better of me.  This year, I had no such excuse.  I searched high and low for a suitable bed, and failed miserably.  Now, if we'd been at home, I like to think that Mr W would have come to my rescue, but as we only bought a handful of tools out with us, that wasn't really an option.  In the end, I found a suitable sized cardboard box, added some wooden dowels for the four poster effect, and stuck it all together with the assistance of some papier mache before painting it.  I then raided my material stash and recycled some bump from some old curtains to make the requisite 12 mattresses.  



Meanwhile, Pickle made a pom pom pea (hopefully large enough not to lose) and my mum made the princess' dress, using the same 'in her head' pattern she used to use for my Sindy doll when I was little.  I must confess to being really delighted with the end result.  Betsy seems pleased too, as are the Sylvanians, who have rather taken to playing hide and seek in it!

One last thing left.  I wanted mum to have something to remind her of us on a daily basis, and knowing that she likes a cup of tea in the afternoon, I followed this pattern and made this...


It doesn't necessarily stand up to close scrutiny, but I'm new to this knitting game, so things can only get better!  

Have a great week x

No comments:

Post a Comment